a tour of articho in a few key questions
An add-in (also known as addon or plug-in) is third party software that integrates with another program and brings new features to it. Articho is a Microsoft Word add-in dedicated to the specific needs of print and digital publishers. Once Articho is installed on the computer, Word displays Articho tab to the right of the View tab on the ribbon.
Articho is a complete solution for publishing. It is aimed at those involved in editorial preparation (publishers, proofreaders, copy writers, etc.) and those in charge of producing printed and/or digital formats of publications (typesetters, ebook producers, XML producers, etc.).
- Correction and copy editing. Articho is a powerfull and reliable solution for copy editing and correction. Editors, proofreaders and copy writers will find solutions to recurring requirements of editorial preparation (deletion of unwanted characters, typography compliance, application of character styles), as well as simple and powerful tools for professional correction and copy editing (find-replace wildcards, index correction, express and optimal Word configuration, technical reporting, optimization for typesetting, etc.).
- DTP. Articho’s structure and optimization functions simplify the work of typesetters and ebook producers… The processing of the Word documents by Articho before importing into a layout software ensures both a smooth and loss-free production of information, and a considerable time saving during the layout and production of digital outputs.
Articho is compatible with Microsoft Word 2010 for Windows and later versions. Compatibility with Word Mac OS is not guaranteed.
However, if you own a Mac and don’t have access to a PC, you can simply install a Windows system on your Mac using Bootcamp, the partition software provided for free by Apple.
If you own an Office 365 license, this allows Microsoft Word to be installed on multiple computers, Mac and PC. You will therefore not have to acquire a new Microsoft Word license for Windows.
Once Bootcamp and Windows are installed on your Mac, you can boot either on the Mac OS partition or on the Windows partition, in order to prepare your documents precisely using Articho. You now have two computers in one!
For more information, see Bootcamp installation on Apple’s website.
Articho consolidates and optimizes Word documents before they are imported into a page layout software. Articho ensures simplicity, security and time savings throughout the composition and production of print and digital outputs.
Removal of unwanted characters. Cleaning of even the smallest of parasitic characters in text, tables and footnotes ensures a fluid layout from a healthy document formatted according to industry standards.
Formatting and consolidation. The technical optimization of the documents and the suppression of parasitic information simplify the interpretation of documents to be composed. Converting enrichments into character styles allows unwanted formats to be removed in one click and relevant text formattings to be consolidated for safe and fast layouts.
Typographical optimization for DTP. The typographical consolidation of documents makes it possible to control the conformity of a document with the essential typographical rules (Chicago manual of style), and to optimize it (placing the non-breaking spaces for example), for a clean and automated layout.
Articho adapts to your content and constantly evolves for closer corrections of your content. Articho controls can be easily consulted and modified in order to adapt to your style guides and contents.
- Consultation of typographic controls
- Modification, addition and removal of controls
- Addition of typographic rules
- Character style sheet editing
The use of Articho on a network allows a homogeneous preparation of documents within a team, guaranteeing the consistency of your publications and the smooth running of your production processes.
- Data sharing. You use the same database (typographical rules and controls, character styles, etc.) within a network. When you modify shared data, the changes are effective for all users. Articho is constantly evolving for everyone. The preparation of publications is homogeneous.
- Export and import data. To share Articho customizations with external collaborators, simply export the custom data file and send it to them. Then all they have to do is import it into Articho.
- Use various customizations. If you want to use different typographical rules per theme or according to the clients you work for, create a folder for each domain/client (Practice, Law, Science, for example) and export the customization file for each folder. Then simply select the folder you want to use.
- Password protection of style guides. The protection of the style guides makes it possible to limit the right of edition to the only authorized persons. The protection affects the active style guide (local or network). It is also active for external collaborators to whom you send your personalized style guide.
- Automated application of character styles. Articho is the only solution for automatically converting enrichments into character styles. Character styles can thus be associated with XML tags (mapping) in order to automatically generate digital formats. Only relevant enhancements are converted to styles. Multiple enrichments are taken into account.
- Data optimization. Removing unwanted information, such as unused styles (paragraphs and characters), and consolidating data simplifies document interpretation and mapping for digital output production.
Download trial version